Historic Main Street Buildings
224 South Main
Sheridan County Courthouse – 1905
Placed on the National Registry of Historic Places, this courthouse was built for a total sum of $55,400.55 and was completed in 1905. The building located on the southwest corner of the property was added in 1913 at a cost of $14,200 and served as the county jail and sheriff’s residence. There is an underground tunnel, connecting the jail to the courthouse.
100 South Main
Western Hotel Building
Built in the early 1900′s from coal mining revenue by James Birchby, the Western Hotel once housed a saloon, barber shop and a spacious lobby. Sheridan’s trolley car system operated from the Western Hotel traveling to the coal mines and to Fort Mackenzie.
52 South Main Kutcher Building – 1922
When Henry Held first arrived in Sheridan, the population immediately doubled. Founder, John Loucks, persuaded Henry not to travel on to his original destination, but to stay and set up a blacksmith shop. This was the site of Sheridan’s first blacksmith shop.
0-44 South Main Davis & Cannon – 1920
This is the site of one of Sheridan’s early movie theaters, the Pastime. The first bakery was established at 44 S. Main in 1911 and was in continuous operation at this site until 1987. Upstairs housed the Spencer Business College (1907-1913), which educated young ladies to be secretaries.
4 South Main Whitney Trust Building – 1925
First Interstate Bank
Built in 1925, the Whitney Trust Building was purchased by the Bank of Commerce in 1945 and “face lifted” in 1950. The Bank of Commerce was established in 1893 and was located at 159 N. Main. B. F. Perkins was the first president of the bank.
2 North Main First National Bank
Community First Bank
The First National Bank opened for business on the corner of Main and Loucks in a log cabin in 1890. There were only 283 people living in Sheridan. The directors once traded a lot on “Residence Hill,” now prime real estate, for a Smith-Premier typewriter. The building was replaced in 1909 and again in 1970.
42 North Main WYO Theater
Originally called the Lotus, this theater opened in 1923. At one time, there was a Greek restaurant also named the Lotus adjoining it. This was one of six theaters in Sheridan. The Lotus was well know for the Vaudeville acts that performed there. The name was changed to the WYO in 1941.
50 North Main
Tomlinson’s Hallmark – 1902
This three story building was formerly the Masonic Hall. The Bank of Commerce was once located here.
112 North Main
Original Town Hall & Fire Station now the Beaver Creek Saloon
This building housed Sheridan’s original town hall and fire station. The large arched doors through which horses and fire wagons passed, can still be seen. The second floor was used for the police department and town court rooms. Located behind this building was the early jail which was built of corrugated iron. Prisoner escaped as fast as they were confined, consequently, many considered the jail to be merely a “Pest House.” The building was originally topped with a large cupola with a bell and flagpole which was prominent in early day photos of the Main Street.
122 North Main
Original Bank of Commerce
Custer Battlefield Trading Post
The Bank of Commerce was located here from 1894-1904. The bank and the building next to it were built in 1894 as a block through an agreement with the bank and J. Frank Heald, a jeweler who came to Sheridan in 1887. It contains many elements of the Beaux Arts Style. The project pavilion entrance with columns is a highlight of that style.
138 North Main
The Palace Cafe has the honor of being a business which has remained in the same location for the longest period of time, opening in 1910. Both floors were used as a restaurant. From photographs, the restaurant was rather elegant with white table cloths and white-aproned waiters.
176 North Main
Java Moon / Over the Moon – 1910
Built by Judge Metz for his law office, the building was conveniently located across the street from Sheridan’s original frame courthouse on the corner of Grinnell and Main.
180 North Main
Bentley’s was the oldest clothing store in Sheridan. It was founded in 1899 as Henn & Holland and has been a clothing store in continuous operation at this site until its closure in the summer of 2000.
206 North Main
Sheridan Stationery Books and Gallery – 1902
The Meyer-Barr Building was erected in 1902. In 1908 there was a restaurant here with furnished rooms upstairs. From 1910-17, “The Lobby Saloon” was downstairs with the Eagles Hall located upstairs. In 1923, the “Sheridan Music Company” occupied the store and the Knights of Columbus were upstairs. By 1927, the “Heiman Commercial College” was upstairs – through 1954. After 1930, the first floor saw “The Melody Shop” and John W. Scott “Chiropodist.” In 1950, Frank Zuck ran a boarding house and “Zuck’s Home Cooked Meals
226 North Main
Peret & Luce
Dan’s Western Wear
Built by A. M. Halbert, one-time mayor of Sheridan, this building shows the decorative possibilities of cast iron. Ornate iron fronts with bold cornices were popular on commercial rows at the time these buildings were constructed. Sheridan Mercantile, which was owned by Halbert, was located here in 1907. In 1910, this was the dry goods store of Peret & Luce, a business which began in Sheridan in 1889, in a frame structure.
234 North Main
The Kendrick Building
J.C. Penney Store
This is another Kendrick building whose second floor was used by John B. Kendrick for his offices. The building which encompassed 234 through 250 North Main housed the Golden Rule, opening in 1907, and J.C. Penney, which opened in 1928, as well as two different furniture stores. According to a newspaper report, the Glenn Miller Band played in front of the Golden Rule Store in 1923. It was known as the “Moyer Band” at that time. In 1896, this was the site of the Inglefield and Dodge Livery Barn.
265 North Main
The Rainbow Bar was operated very effectively, along with nearby hotels, by a “business woman” in one of the world’s oldest professions. At the back of the Rainbow Bar was at one time the last of Sheridan’s two-story outhouse. This location was also the location of the Antler Hotel.
302-306 North Main
Bucket of Blood Saloon – 1908
Perkins Building / Crescent Hotel Building
The “Bucket of Blood Saloon” was constructed in 1892 and was, at that time, the “red light” district where proper ladies feared to tread. However, in just a few years society had changed and the new St. Nicholas Hotel opened (previously know as the Occidental). According to the Sheridan Enterprise, “The St. Nicholas opened under the new management New Years night (1897) when a grand spread was made to which a large number of guest were invited. Over 130 covers were laid and the menu, which would have been a credit to any metropolitan hostelry, was highly appreciated and thoroughly enjoyed, together with the inspiring strains of music from the Sheridan Philharmonic orchestra.” In 1908 B. F. Perkins, then president of the Bank of Commerce built the building you see today. The Perkins Building or Crescent Hotel Building was well known for its good restaurant, music and dancing through the 1950′s.
360-366 North Main
Quizno’s – 1900
The first of the Stevens-Fryberger Company Stores known as the New York Store was started here in 1895. The railroad just came to town and the store was in a very good location. It was by the creek, which meant it was “real handy” to run out and get a pail of water whenever one needed to wash and cook. All the girls from the nearby red light district were, in fact, the best paying customers. Saturday night usually meant a complete sellout at the store. The girls would come in the store and say “excuse me,” they’d turn around, pull up their dresses and get their money out of their stockings. In 1908, the Fryberger’s moved their store to 35 North Main and continued to operate it as the New York Store.
301-321 North Main
Helvey Hotel and Cady Opera House – 1893
Sanford’s Grub Pub and Brewery
This elaborate and massive stone building with its Romanesque architecture originally had a third story which housed the Cady Opera House. The third floor burned in 1906 and was never rebuilt. Ironically, the show playing at the time of the fire was entitled “The Runaway Match.” Many businesses have occupied the street level, such as a grocery store, the post office, and the temporary courthouse.
234-250 North Main
Old Sheridan Press Building – 1910
This building housed “The Sheridan Press,” the daily newspaper from 1942-1975, and was home to Brouillette’s Furniture. This Kendrick building was constructed in 1910.
171 North Main
Tucker’s Office World
In 1888, Peter Demple constructed a two-story red brick building at this location for the newly formed county government. The courthouse offices were located on the main floor and the second floor was used for dances. Two years later, Demple and T.C. Diers opened the Citizen’s State Bank at this location. The bank survived until 1923. In 1893, the Bank of Commerce first opened in a small building in the alley. Other businesses at this location were the Chinese Cafe in 1911 and the Ideal Hotel and Cafe. In the upstairs, a well-known “madam” was in residence into the early 1960′s. The current building was constructed in 1965.
151 North Main
The Mint Bar
In 1907, the Mint Bar opened for business in the heart of downtown Sheridan. At that time, ice was delivered in horse-drawn wagons to the bar’s ice box and bartenders wore long white aprons, serving drinks across a mahogany bar. During Prohibition, a “speakeasy” was quietly operated in the bar’s back room for those who disagreed with that amendment. Upon repeal in 1933, the Mint Bar reopened and an addition was built on the back of the building to make room for slot machines, roulette wheels and gaming tables. The Mint was completely redecorated in the late 1940′s in the rustic style seen today. “See ya at the Mint” has been and still is the by-word of cowboys, ranchers and dudes for all these years.
109 North Main
Best Out West Mall
The Kendrick buildings are easily identified by the engraved “K” at the top of the buildings. John B. Kendrick, a governor and U.S. Senator, commissioned the building which became Sheridan National Bank in 1914. The building had glass panels on the Brundage Street sidewalk to let light into the basement which runs partially under the street. Be sure to notice the old clock on the corner of the building.
55-59 North Main
Diefenderfer and Dinwiddie Hardware
The Diefenderfer and Dinwiddie Hardware store was “modernized” and remodeled in the early 1960′s and housed a clothing store and later Brown Drug Store. Restoration in the mid 1990′s returned the building to its original design.
45 North Main
White Mule Saloon
Tojours In the 1880′s, this was the site of the White Mule Saloon. As the story is told, a rancher came to town for provisions. He stopped at the White Mule Saloon for a little social drinking. Once he left the bar, he staggered off the narrow sidewalk and into a barrel of rainwater. He splashed around a bit, yelled for help and scrambled out. He then lurched back into the saloon, straightened up as best he could and yelled at the top of his lungs, “Hey fellows, cut out the gambling and drinking and get to praying! There’s the damnedest flood outside you ever saw!”
35 North Main
Stevens Fryberger Building
Stevens and Fryberger originally started their dry goods business as the “New York Store” in 1895 at 360 North Main. In 1908, Stevens and Fryberger moved their store to this location and continued to operate it as the “New York Store.” The name is still evident in the stone engraving at the top of the building.
1-7 South Main
J.H. Conrad Store – 1883
This is the only false front building which remains on Sheridan’s Main Street. It was constructed in 1883 as Sheridan’s first general store and is the oldest building in Sheridan’s Historic District. The false front is typical for buildings in western pioneer towns. At one time it had a large blackboard which said, “We sell everything from knitting needles to threshing machines.” The Conrad’s were bankers, mercantilists and cattlemen. They grazed thousands of cattle from the Platte River to the Yellowstone River. The current mural on the building was painted by Bernard Thomas, a local artist who became well-known throughout the country for his murals.
17 South Main
Klebba’s This family saddle and harness making business was started in 1902 by Otto F. Ernst. In 1908, he moved the business to this location where it remained until closing in 1976. As the automobile first began appearing in numbers, Mr. Ernst thought the days of saddles and harnesses were numbered, so he converted a part of the building into a vulcanizing and retreading plant and became the distributor of Diamond Tires. He featured the largest stock of automobile tires and accessories in Wyoming. In 1924, the tire business was discontinued and he went back to catering to the saddlery and harness business. Western clothing and sporting goods were added to the stock. For years and years Ernst’s drew ranchers, tourist and dude ranch guests into its atmosphere of an old-time saddlery shop.
49 South Main
Dr. E. E. Levers Office/Residence
Healy Law Office
This is unique in that it is the only house remaining in the downtown historic district. The building was occupied by Dr. and Mrs. E. E. Levers and later by Dr. and Mrs. Crane; both men were general practitioners and used the back part of the house as an office and the front part as their homes.
101-105 South Main
Keenan Building – 1916
This is the site of Sheridan’s first hotel, the Grand Central. The grand opening of the original wood framed hotel was celebrated on July 3, 1883 with a ball featuring wild turkey, bear meat and a dance that lasted from dusk well into the next day. The structure now on the site was built by Dick Keenan, president of a coal company at Dietz, Wyoming.