Ft. Phil Kearny
# Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site
# More Info
Location: Twenty five miles south of Sheridan
Fort Phil Kearny was one of three military posts established along the Bozeman Trail. This fort was built in 1866 as a cutoff from the Oregon Trail. Immigrants used this trail en route from Fort Laramie to the Montana gold fields. It was abandoned by the Army in 1868 under the terms of the Treaty of Fort Laramie in an effort to establish peace with the Indians, who under Red Cloud constantly harassed the garrison during its short existence. The military portion of the fort was 600 x 700 feet, surround by an eight foot stockade of heavy pine logs. As the Army abandoned this fort, the Indians burned it to the ground.