Built in 1879 by the Rock Creek Stage Line, the Blacksmith Shop, now home to the Bozeman Trail Museum originally satisfied the needs of the nearby Bozeman Trail, connecting south-eastern Wyoming to Virginia City, Montana
Located in Big Horn, Wyoming, approximately 10 miles south of Sheridan,. Our museum is open 11 – 4 Sat. & Sun. – June, July & Aug. (Memorial Day through Labor Day weekends) or by appointment. Please call 307-674-6363 or 307-674-8050.
The collection includes Indian artifacts, dentistry tools, photos of our area, pioneer clothing, books, blacksmith tools, and many other artifacts from pioneer families.
Our pioneer families include:
O.P. Hanna: who built the first log cabin in Sheridan County
‘Bear’ Davis: who earned his name by killing 159 bear
Wm. & Malcolm Moncreiffe: Scottish immigrants who raised thousands of horses for the British Cavalry in the late 1800’s and early 1900’s
Oliver H. Wallop: who also raised horses for the British Cavalry and later became the Earl of Portsmouth in 1925
Jack Dow: who was a land surveyor and platted most of the roads, ditches and towns in northern Wyoming
Wm. Jackson: who was appointed first supervisor of the Big Horn National Forest
Charles Bard: whose family knew most of the main players in the Johnson County Cattle War
Jerome Brown: who was a Johnson county commissioner during the Cattle War
John H. Sackett & Charles Skinner: who built the Big Horn Mercantile building which is still in operation today
J. O. Willits: who raised horses and became a farmer and rancher. He also built a reservoir in the mountains in 1913.