In 1920 a flour mill representing the latest in milling technology was built by J. W. Denio Milling Co. In 1923 the J. W, Denio Milling Co. was the largest and most modern of its kind in Wyoming with a daily capacity of 1,000 barrels of flour. Quoting a Sheridan Post headline in 1932 “Largest Milling Plant in Wyoming Claims Sheridan as Home”.
In 1927 the plant became known as the Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. when a group of interested, influential business people and ranchers bought the plant. Because of the excellent quality of the product, bakers all over the United States readily accepted the flour. Elevator storage increased from 150,000 bushels to 410,000 bushels by the addition of 10 concrete grain storage tanks at the plant site (still standing to the north of the Mill Inn).
In addition, the Sheridan Flouring Mills Inc. owned 13 country elevators located in Parkman, Ranchester, North of Sheridan, Wyarno, Buffalo, Arvada, Gillette, Clearmont, and Big Corrals; In Montana the elevators were located in Hardin, Garryowen, Lodge Grass and Wyola. By 1934, 100,000 to 125,000 barrels of flour were annually converted in “Best Out West Flour” and “Tomahawk Feeds” .
Prior to the purchase of the mill by Nebraska Consolidated Mill Company in 1963, Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. employed 75 people with an annual payroll of $350,000 paid over $100.000 per year in taxes, $750,000 in freight and $40,000 for electric power.
In 1974 ConAgra (formerly Nebraska Consolidated Mill Company) closed the milling operations due to changes in the structure of freight rates for grain and flour. The buildings, equipment and lands comprising the former Sheridan Flouring Mills, Inc. were sold in 1974 and remodeled into a 44-unit motel and the tower was converted into office spaces. Once a flour mill, now a fine three diamond AAA motel on the National Registry of Historic Places. Rooms are appointed with western photography by L. A. Huffman, and the lobby consists of authentic western and Native American memorabilia.