Carriage House Theater
Map | 419 Delphi Ave
As the name suggests, The Carriage House Theater was originally built to house carriages and teams of horses but was converted into an eighty-seven-seat community theater in 1979 by the Sheridan Civic Theatre Guild.
Built in 1910 and located on the grounds of the Trail End State Historic Site, the Carriage House was built in the same Flemish style as the main house, the Trail End. While construction on the Trail End was taking place, the Kendricks and their cook all lived in the carriage house, adapting it for use as a comfortable abode. The horse stalls, complete with polished wood floors, concrete water troughs, cast iron hay chutes and elaborate railings, served as bedrooms for Rosa-Maye and the cook. Another was put to use as a temporary kitchen. The parents slept upstairs in the hayloft and Manville camped out in the main carriage room.
Electricity was used to light the carriage house but not to heat it: before the addition of modern methods, heat was provided by means of steam piped from the basement of the main house to the carriage house through a concrete conduit running under the gravel service drive.
Although the carriage house was built to house carriages and teams of horses, it was never used for that purpose. By the time the family was ready to move out of their makeshift home in 1913, they were in possession of two 1912 Cadillac automobiles. The few horses actually residing on the grounds were kept for Rosa-Maye and Manville to train and ride. While the Kendricks lived in the carriage house, their horses were housed in a livery stable just below the hill near Kendrick Park.
For a schedule of shows, visit the Sheridan Civic Theatre Guild website.
Map | 36 E Alger St
Local movie theater with multiple showing rooms. For current movies and showtimes, visit the Centennial Theater website.
Map | 42 N Main St
The WYO was originally built in 1923 as the Lotus, a vaudeville theater. The theater entertained Sheridan families for nearly 60 years with both live performances and films before closing its doors in 1982. Its future uncertain, the theater seemed destined to become just another main street memory.
Faced with the loss of this venerable landmark the citizens of Sheridan came together to rescue the building. Community leadership coupled with the generous gifts of time and money by individuals, businesses, and private foundations not only saved the theater but also renovated it to become an architectural centerpiece and important performing arts facility for downtown Sheridan. Since reopening in 1989 as a roadhouse, the WYO has brought countless hours of live entertainment, cultural enrichment, and educational opportunities to the greater Sheridan community.
For current shows, showtimes and tickets, visit the WYO Theater website.