Ft. Phil Kearny was abandoned by the Army in 1868 under the terms of the Treaty of Fort Laramie in an effort to establish peace with the Indians, who under Red Cloud constantly harassed the garrison during its short existence.
The military portion of the fort was 600 x 700 feet, surround by an eight-foot stockade of heavy pine logs. As the Army abandoned this fort, the Indians burned it to the ground.
Located 25 miles south of Sheridan.
Fort Phil Kearny Historic Site
Interpretive Center Hours
Daily | 10am – 4pm
Grounds open from sunrise to sunset
Wyoming State Parks and Fort Phil Kearny State Historic Site’s reenactment of the Battle of the Hundred in the Hand on April 30th, 2017: